Teacher GuidePhoto by Chris Miner
Every class visit is customized to offer students as much hands-on experience and instructor interaction as possible. We split large classes into our preferred group size of 12-15 students, typically rotating them through 3-4 programs over the course of the day. Guest researchers often further enhance the experience of a class visit, particularly for students in senior grades. As with any field investigation, some aspects of our programs are seasonal. Programming may also include guided hikes or geocache/orienteering exercises.
The facility is open year-round, by appointment. To book a date for your group to visit Elbow Lake and take part in outreach programs, contact Emily Verhoek, the Outreach and Teaching Coordinator (firstname.lastname@example.org). Once an available date has been confirmed, fill out our online Field Trip Booking Form. This will provide the necessary information to QUBS staff to facilitate the programming. On the form, you will specify your group size, timing, and the type of programs you would like to participate in. You are also asked to specify any special needs or health concerns in the group. For confidentiality, we do not ask the names of the students on the online form.
All participants (students, teachers, and volunteers) must sign our Waiver Form in order to participate in our programs. All signed forms must be given to ELEEC staff upon arrival.
Please read our Teacher's Guide for detailed information about your visit to ELEEC. If you have any further questions, please feel free to contact us.
Sample Trip Itinerary
|9:00am||Welcome and Introduction|
|Split class into two groups|
|9:15am-10:30am||Group 1: Limnology and Bethos|
|Group 2: Fisheries & Aquatic Life|
|10:30am - 11:15am||Group 1: Diversity & Adaptations of Birds|
|Group 2: Ecology Scavenger Hunt|
|11:15am - 12:00pm||Lunch/Free Time|
|12:00pm - 12:45pm||Group 1: Ecology Scavenger Hunt|
|Group 2: Diversity & Adaptations of Birds|
|12:45pm - 2:00pm||Group 1: Fisheries & Aquatic Life|
|Group 2: Limnology & Benthos|
|2:00pm||Wrap Up and Departure|
Fees and Payment
Please contact Emily Verhoek, Outreach and Teaching Coordinator for a quote.
A full program (4 hours) for a maximum of 40 students* is $12/student and $8/teacher.
For more information about staying overnight and the associated reduced program rates, visit our booking page or contact us.
* Though 40 or less is our preferred group size, larger groups can be accommodated. For larger groups, please contact Emily Verhoek for information about possible modified programs.
Before You Come: Teacher Checklist
- Determine field trip date with the Outreach and Teaching Coordinator
- Complete the Field Trip Booking Form
- Distribute and collect Waiver Forms from students, teachers, and volunteers
- Ensure applicable students have all personal medical items with them
- Encourage all students to bring a litterless lunches (as we are pack-in pack-out) and a refillable water bottle
- Bring a map to Elbow Lake. Our address is 1500 Hewlett-Packard Lane, Perth Road Village (or South Frontenac), ON. Please park at the Main Pavilion (there is room for the bus to turn around)